EU-Japan: Hydrogen in Transport, Industry and Power Generation
Power generation, transport and heavy industries are the sectors that contribute the most to global emissions of greenhouse gases. Decarbonizing these sectors is a priority to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and reach carbon neutrality by 2050. In Europe and Japan, hydrogen produced from carbon-free sources is increasingly seen as one of the solutions that will help decarbonize these sectors.
Projects using hydrogen as an alternative fuel are developing in various areas, including the energy-intensive steel industry, road and maritime transport, centralized and decentralized production of electricity.
After a first workshop in May 2021 focusing on green hydrogen production, in this second event, experts from Europe and Japan will share the latest developments on public policies and industrial solutions to develop the use of hydrogen in several sectors of the economy. They will also open a discussion on possible cooperation between Europe and Japan in hydrogen use projects.
- Public policies for hydrogen use in Europe and Japan | European Commission DG ENER – Mr. Tudor Constantinescu, Principal Adviser & Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan – Mr. Ryosuke Fujioka, Chief Deputy Director Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Strategy
- Session 1: Projects of hydrogen use in transport, industry and power generation in the EU and Japan
- Hydrogen power generation project in Japan | Mitsubishi Power – Mr. Satoshi Tanimura, Chief Engineer, Senior Manager, Next Energy Business Division
- Hydrogen-fueled steel manufacturing in Europe | thyssenkrupp – Mr. Nikolaus Boltze – CEO & Country Representative (Japan)
- Hydrogen in road transport in Japan | Toyota Motor Europe – Mr. Stephan Herbst, Technical Head Powertrain Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Business Unit
- Hydrogen in air mobility in Europe| H3Dynamics – Mr. Samir Bennafla, Head of Sales Japan-Asia-Pacific
- Session 2: Potential for EU-Japan cooperation in hydrogen use in transport, industry and power generation
- EU-Japan partnership for hydrogen in maritime transport| CMB – Mr. Yu Aonuma – Representative Director Japan
- EU-Japan partnership for hydrogen in homes and buildings | Panasonic – Mr. Urata Takayuki, Fuel Cell Planning Department
- Public programmes supporting projects on hydrogen use in Japan | NEDO – Mr. Eiji Ohira, General Manager, Fuel Cell & Hydrogen Office, Smart Community & Energy Systems Department
- Support to innovation regarding use of hydrogen in Horizon Europe | European Commission DG RTD – Mr. Jeroen Schuppers, Deputy Head of Unit Clean Energy Transition
- Industry priorities on international cooperation in projects on the use of hydrogen | Hydrogen Europe – Mr. Jorgo Chatzimarkakis, Secretary General & Japan Hydrogen Association – Mr. Seiji Maeda, Chief Examiner of Commercialization and Regulatory Working Group
- Panel discussion
The event is moderated by Professor Kazunari Sasaki, Senior Vice President of Kyushu University, Director of the International Research Center for Hydrogen Energy and Next-Generation Fuel Cell Research Center.
Information & Registration
- Date: Thursday 9th September | 9:00-11:30 CET / 16:00-18:30 JST
- Platform: Zoom
- Language: English and Japanese with simultaneous interpretation
- Registration is free
Registration is done here: EU-Japan workshop – Hydrogen in transport, industry and power generation